Monday, June 18, 2012

New machine and a completed project

Hello Friends!

I got a new sewing machine over the weekend!  My sweet cousin-by-marriage, Paula, contaced me awhile back explaining that her quilter mom had passed away and that her dad and sister were looking for a "good home" for her nearly-new sewing machine and wondered if I would like to have it.  Wow!  It came via the post office all the way from South Dakota and not only did it arrive in one piece, but I set it up and started sewing right away.  It's a Viking Sapphire 830  (I named her Vixen) and she has some great features that my Janome 6500 doesn't have.  I surely do miss the automatic thread cutter, but other than that, I'm really liking her so far.  She also came with a Fab-U-Motion attachment which acts as a stitch regulator for free-motion quilting, but I want to get used to the machine before I tackle that!

More on Vixen later!

I just wanted to do a quickie post to show off my latest project and since it's a gift and going away I wanted to show it off.  I call it the I Love Sushi Makeup Bag.  The pattern is the Flotsam and Jetsom Box Bag from Everyday Handmade by Adrienne Smitke and Cassie Barden.  This bag was designed by Adrienne and I just love it.  I can't wait to make more!

Here's the outside:




It's a skosh wonky, but I learned a few lessons making this bag (being careful with directional prints for one).  I don't think that the young lady who will be using this bag will care too much and hopefully once it's full of stuff it won't be noticeable.  I used a laminated cotton on the interior.  It's easy to sew, but not so easy to press (ask me how I know)!  Here's a photo:



Don't forget, there's still a little time to enter the drawing for a signed copy of Quilting with Fat Quarters.  Winner announced tonight!

TTFN
Cornelia

No comments:

Post a Comment