Saturday, May 19, 2012

House Paint

I am having the worst time getting started today!  I slept late, finished the book I was reading, started another and in the meantime, my dirty kitchen and disorganized sewing area are taunting me.  I'm dressed!  I guess that's something.

I had to laugh today when looking at my blog stats.  4 whole followers and 9 people read my last post!  LOL.  I really am talking to myself (mostly), it seems. 

The big news for this week is that we got our house painted!  We can't afford it but also can't afford not to if we ever want to sell our house.  The paint was in pretty bad shape.  Here's a really bad "before" photo that I lifted from Google Maps:

The color was awful.  A very light, almost white gray with peacock blue trim.  I've lived with it for 12 years and I guess I had become accustomed to it without realizing how much I hated it!  Choosing the new colors was rather daunting.  I'm indecisive, eclectic and have a new favorite color every day!  Also, while I wanted it to look snazzy, I also didn't want to stick out like a sore thumb.  Enter Anya, the color expert.  She was really good at pinning it down.  I ended up choosing Portabello for the main color, Oyster Bar for the trim and Sun-dried Tomato for the accent.  Sounds delish, doesn't it?  Oh, these are all Sherwin-Williams colors, by the way.  Here's the "after":


I LOVE the red we chose.  It's a gorgeous deep red with orangy undertones, although here it looks more blue.  One thing that Anya thought of that I didn't was that any paint we chose really needed to have warmer undertones because the the amber-colored windows around the door.  Obviously, we need to paint the railings a different color.  We're just going to do them in black.  I also want to do some red pinstriping on the rectangles of the garage doors.  I think that will give us one more "pop" of color.

My kitchen is calling!  

TTFN

Cornelia


No comments:

Post a Comment